– Choose the camping location. Click for some camping locations.
– Research the camping location and understand the climate, terrain, and rules. Click for weather.
– Make a packing list to ensure you don’t forget anything important.
– Choose a tent and gear appropriate for the conditions. Click for store.
– Plan a menu and pack adequate food and water. Click for menu.
Study and follow Leave No Trace principles.
Familiarize yourself with campfire safety and rules.
Pack a first aid kit and know basic first aid.
Research and obtain necessary permits or reservations.
Bring a map and compass or GPS device and know how to use them.
Plan for unexpected weather and bring appropriate clothing and gear.
Know how to navigate using a map and compass.
Familiarize yourself with the area and any potential hazards.
Bring a portable water filtration system or enough water.
Have a backup plan for bad weather.
Bring a lantern or flashlight and extra batteries.
Make sure you have a means to start a fire in case of emergency.
Know how to properly store food to avoid attracting wildlife.
Consider bringing a portable power source for devices.
Know the rules for campground quiet hours.
Be prepared for the physical demands of camping and bring necessary medications.